This has been my go-to cookies recipe for about as long as I can remember. I have made hundreds of batches of those, using that same recipe base and changing the flavours according to my mood or what I have in the pantry. It’s not only easy but also very yummy. Today, I’m giving you the recipe for the choc chips and orange version and a few other alternatives that are big favourites in this house :)
Choc Chips & Orange Cookies
- 200g sugar
- 200g butter, softened
- 400g flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100g. choc chips*
- grated zest of 1 orange*
Work the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix well. Add 1 egg, mix well, then add the other egg and mix well again. Then add flour, salt, vanilla extract, choc chips and orange zest all in one go. Mix until combined.
Take a small amount of the cookie dough (roughly 1 tablespoon worth) and press into a flat, roundish shape onto a greased and lined baking tray. Repeat until the tray is full. This will make between 25 to 30 cookies, depending on their size.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 200 degrees.
* Note: for a different taste, try the following combinations:
- 150g choc chips (leave out the zest)
- 50g dark choc chips, 50g milk choc chips, 50g white choc chips
- 100g choc chips & grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 an apple, diced in small cubes & 60g prunes (approx. 8-10 prunes)
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa & 150g white choc chips (or dark or milk chocolate)
- 100g white choc chips & 80g macadamias
The above quantities can easily be modified, just go with what you like. Add more choc chips if you like your cookies really chocolatey, go crazy with the macadamias (which is what I tend to do, hehe), put less lemon or orange zest. Up to you! :)
Try your own combinations, you could really use anything you like (choc chips and hazelnuts? cinnamon & apple?). If you do, let me know, I’d love to hear what you came up with :)